The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.


Reader Response to “Don’t Marry Career Women” – The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.
thesadgeek
Visitor
thesadgeek
Judging from the reactions, a lot of career women are having trouble with this article. It seems a lot of them are experiencing cognitive dissonance. The facts are just not in accordance with what they believe in.

Face it ladies, you’re living a lie. Take my advice, swallow the red pill. It’s bitter, but you’ll feel better afterwards.

Men just don’t want to marry another man. It isn’t them, it’s you. Please, become feminine again, for both our sakes.

P.S.: If you’ve forgotten what femininity is, look to the East.

08-28-2006 08:48 AM

Re: The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.
fishnamedjames
Regular Contributor
fishnamedjames
Mr. Noer’s statistical sum up is marginally better than concluding that comsumption of ice cream causes sun burns because the two are correlated. I poked through his sources, or at least the ones that are available to me at this point in time, and they don’t really support his stated conclusions as much as you may have been lead to believe. But at least he knows he’s stating an opinion based off a bunch of statistics he was toying with–that’s why that whole “correlation does not equal causation” disclaimer is in there.

That said, if you want to marry a homekeeper, there’s nothing wrong with that. But there also isn’t anything intrinsically wrong with a guy who wants to marry a CEO, or a woman who wants a career. Whenever people get married, they have to find a way to balance their own dreams with the dreams of their partner, not to mention figure out how to take care of the children, get bread on the table, etc. Fortunately, there are a variety of ways to do all of that.

08-28-2006 09:27 AM

Re: The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.
Romulus
Regular Contributor
Romulus
“But there also isn’t anything intrinsically wrong with a guy who wants to marry a CEO, or a woman who wants a career.”

Of course there’s nothing wrong with that at all. Noer isn’t arguing that, he’s just stating that marrying a career women increases your chance of divorce. Given the resulting dynamic of a marriage to a career woman this is no surprise, its simply common sense.

08-28-2006 10:32 AM

Re: The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.
phatkat811
Regular Contributor
phatkat811
He IS arguing that it’s wrong. Just look at the title of the article: “DON’T Marry Career Women”. Not “Use Caution When Marrying Career Women” or even a nice factual title like “Career Women Statistically More Likely to Get Divorced”. Nope, he had to come up with a catchy title that would stir the s*** a little, regardless of whether he really believes the paper-thin arguments he came up with.

I agree with the counterpoint. Sure, a career provides plenty of new people who could tempt a woman to go astray (which is a truly sexist argument as he seems to imply that men are less prone to such temptation or that perhaps it doesn’t matter if a man meets someone new in the workplace?) but the bottom line is that a person in a happy marriage is less likely to have an affair – and I think it’s a pretty safe guess that that is one instance where we can assume causation, not just correlation.

So sure, guys, run out and marry Miss Submissive Non-Educated Suzy Homemaker and enjoy the rest of your life fertilizing ovaries and coming home every night where the most intelligent dinner table conversation you ever have may be centered around diapers and poopies. You can treat her however you want, and she won’t divorce you because she can’t survive on her own. No work on your part.

No, really, guys, if you agree with the article, by all means stay away from us educated, intelligent women. We don’t want your kind anyway!!

08-28-2006 11:40 AM

Re: The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.
Termi0n
Regular Contributor
Termi0n

phatkat811 wrote:
No, really, guys, if you agree with the article, by all means stay away from us educated, intelligent women. We don’t want your kind anyway!!

Unless we want a roll in the hay.

Women want fried ice. -Arab Proverb

08-28-2006 11:46 AM

Re: The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.
thesadgeek
Visitor
thesadgeek
Phatkat811, it isn’t about submission, it is about respect. It isn’t about education, it’s about knowing how to live. It isn’t about homemaking, it’s about partnership.

This isn’t about power or intelligence. This is about attitude and results.

08-28-2006 11:52 AM

Re: The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.
miscwit
Contributor
miscwit

“…run out and marry Miss Submissive Non-Educated Suzy Homemaker and enjoy the rest of your life fertilizing ovaries and coming home every night where the most intelligent dinner table conversation you ever have may be centered around diapers and poopies.”

Do we need to review all the very unpleasant generalizations about women who choose not to pursue a careerist lifestyle choice?

Odd thing about choice, people do excercise it. And with choice comes the awkward concept that folks may not choose the same lifestyle as you have chosen, therefore your lifestyle choice may not be validated. It sucks, but grow up and deal with it.

08-28-2006 12:02 PM

Re: The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.
marymmac
Newbie
marymmac
First of all, even though I may be a career woman, my sensuality has not changed. I still very much enjoy being a woman in all ways even though I do have a career. What on earth makes you think that a career makes a woman more manly? What kind of women have YOU been dating? By the way, Forbes’ Forums more than likely see only career women so by “judging from the reactions” is just another assumption. And you know what they say about people who assume.

Secondly, women aren’t having a hard time with this article because it’s what the believe- they have a hard time with it because it’s nothing they’ve experienced. Every single one of us has had or is in a relationship and guess what! We’ve either never experienced what Noer is saying, or we have but adapted our relationship and take it to a new level. Statistics are usually pretty accurate but can be manipulated and being knowledgable enough to see through such uncanny “facts” is what makes the reader/consumer wise.

I’m glad to see that you are so very wise.

08-28-2006 12:13 PM

Re: The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.
missburgundia
Newbie
missburgundia

at least he knows he’s stating an opinion based off a bunch of statistics he was toying with–that’s why that whole “correlation does not equal causation” disclaimer is in there.
Actually, if you read that last paragraph carefully, you’ll notice that Mr. Noer included that part in order to make an argument against marriage, not as a disclaimer for the points made in the rest of his article.
It is wryly ironic though that “correlation does not equal causation” can be used to dismiss nearly all of his claims until he provides further analysis to distinguish between correlation and causation.

08-28-2006 12:46 PM

Re: The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.
missburgundia
Newbie
missburgundia

P.S.: If you’ve forgotten what femininity is, look to the East.

The women of the Far East thank you for your reaffirmation of their femininity.

They plan on printing out your comment and showing it to their husbands at dinner so they will not be beaten senseless for making the Kung Pow chicken too spicy.

08-28-2006 12:50 PM

==============================================================================
Click on the board or message subject at the top to return.

Reader Response to “Don’t Marry Career Women” – The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Re: The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.
thesadgeek
Visitor
thesadgeek

marymmac wrote:

they have a hard time with it because it’s nothing they’ve experienced.

Are you sure you’ve been paying attention? Are you sure hubby is really happy?

marymmac wrote:

Statistics are usually pretty accurate but can be manipulated and being knowledgable enough to see through such uncanny “facts” is what makes the reader/consumer wise.

Or deluded. Are you knowledgeable enough?

08-28-2006 01:13 PM

Re: The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.
thesadgeek
Visitor
thesadgeek

missburgundia wrote:

P.S.: If you’ve forgotten what femininity is, look to the East.

The women of the Far East thank you for your reaffirmation of their femininity.

They plan on printing out your comment and showing it to their husbands at dinner so they will not be beaten senseless for making the Kung Pow chicken too spicy.

Hmmm, feminism with a dash of neo-colonialism. Yummy.

08-28-2006 01:24 PM

Re: The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.
IshWishDish
Regular Contributor
IshWishDish

Face it ladies, you’re living a lie.

You’re awfully vague in your recommendations, sadgeek. Be specific. What lie are we living?

Men just don’t want to marry another man. It isn’t them, it’s you. Please, become feminine again, for both our sakes.

P.S.: If you’ve forgotten what femininity is, look to the East.

Once again, too vague. Come out and say what you mean. What is femininity, sadgeek?

08-28-2006 01:51 PM

Re: The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.
Romulus
Regular Contributor
Romulus
“So sure, guys, run out and marry Miss Submissive Non-Educated Suzy Homemaker and enjoy the rest of your life fertilizing ovaries and coming home every night where the most intelligent dinner table conversation you ever have may be centered around diapers and poopies. You can treat her however you want, and she won’t divorce you because she can’t survive on her own. No work on your part.

No, really, guys, if you agree with the article, by all means stay away from us educated, intelligent women. We don’t want your kind anyway!!”

And you think complaining, vilifying and shaming a man for exercising his right to choose who to marry, insulting fellow women who have made the decision to stay home, makes you attractive to men? Hardly, more like a whiny little 2 yr. old brat who can’t get her way, not an “educated, intelligent woman.”

NEXT!

Message Edited by Romulus on 08-28-2006 02:27 PM

08-28-2006 02:16 PM

Re: The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.
IshWishDish
Regular Contributor
IshWishDish

And you think complaining, vilifying and shaming a man for exercising his right to choose who to marry, insulting fellow women who have made the decision to stay home, makes you attractive to men?

NEXT!

I didn’t like her post either, but it looks a little silly to put the smackdown on her like that and finish up with the word “NEXT!”, considering several other women have posted to this thread since her, and you’re ignoring their posts. It makes you look like you just picked the one opposing post that was easy to discredit and are now patting yourself on the back for pointing out its obvious flaws while hiding your head from any opposing view that might actually be a little challenging. If you want to earn bragging rights for your debate skills, you’ve got a long way to go.

08-28-2006 02:26 PM

Re: The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.
Romulus
Regular Contributor
Romulus
“I didn’t like her post either, but it looks a little silly to put the smackdown on her like that and finish up with the word “NEXT!”, considering several other women have posted to this thread since her, and you’re ignoring their posts. It makes you look like you just picked the one opposing post that was easy to discredit and are now patting yourself on the back for pointing out its obvious flaws while hiding your head from any opposing view that might actually be a little challenging. If you want to earn bragging rights for your debate skills, you’ve got a long way to go.”

Look up some of my other posts, I think I can adequately make valid arguments and counterarguments. As far as my response to her goes, if someone wants to argue with me like a mature adult I will respond the same way. If someone wants to argue with me like a child, I will do the same back. Equality remember? Sorry if this offends you. And now you’re telling me how I should respond to other posters? Have I lost ALL rights over my thoughts and actions? Incredible.

Message Edited by Romulus on 08-28-2006 02:47 PM

08-28-2006 02:30 PM

Re: The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.
phatkat811
Regular Contributor
phatkat811

Romulus wrote:
“So sure, guys, run out and marry Miss Submissive Non-Educated Suzy Homemaker and enjoy the rest of your life fertilizing ovaries and coming home every night where the most intelligent dinner table conversation you ever have may be centered around diapers and poopies. You can treat her however you want, and she won’t divorce you because she can’t survive on her own. No work on your part.

No, really, guys, if you agree with the article, by all means stay away from us educated, intelligent women. We don’t want your kind anyway!!”

And you think complaining, vilifying and shaming a man for exercising his right to choose who to marry, insulting fellow women who have made the decision to stay home, makes you attractive to men? Hardly, more like a whiny little 2 yr. old brat who can’t get her way, not an “educated, intelligent woman.”

NEXT!

Message Edited by Romulus on 08-28-2006 02:27 PM

Umm, no, I’m not trying to make myself more attractive to men. I’m hardly on THIS forum to pick up a man. Although, assuming that everything a woman does must be motivated by a lust for the opposite sex does speak volumes about the way YOUR mind works!

08-28-2006 04:19 PM

Re: The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.
thesadgeek
Visitor
thesadgeek

IshWishDish wrote:

Face it ladies, you’re living a lie.

You’re awfully vague in your recommendations, sadgeek. Be specific. What lie are we living?

Feminism. For some background information see:

The rantings of a single male
Stand Your Ground – for the discussion of gender issues

IshWishDish wrote:

P.S.: If you’ve forgotten what femininity is, look to the East.

Once again, too vague. Come out and say what you mean. What is femininity, sadgeek?

Defining femininity is like defining masculinity or truth or justice. One could write a book about it, and still not know anything. Or I could just point it out when I see it.

For the record, I’m not against women having a career. I just think people have been fed misleading information and ideology by the powers that be.

All I ask is that women take a good, hard look at themselves and what they believe in. Please, read a bit more about the dark side of feminism. Then make your own decision.

Message Edited by thesadgeek on 08-28-2006 10:33 PM

08-28-2006 04:32 PM

Re: The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.
SM777
Regular Contributor
SM777
Um, well phatkat811:

I quote you: “Although, assuming that everything a woman does must be motivated by a lust for the opposite sex does speak volumes about the way YOUR mind works!”

From what I have seen of your type, it’s probably more of a childish, immature lust for attention.

———————————————————-
I quote you: “I’m not trying to make myself more attractive to men.”

Because that means you would have to lose some weight.

08-28-2006 05:27 PM

Re: The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.
zacharias
Regular Contributor
zacharias
“I’m not trying to make myself more attractive to men.”

Then why have you got your panties in such a wad over the fact that they don’t want to marry you?

08-28-2006 05:39 PM

==============================================================================
Click on the board or message subject at the top to return.
Reader Response to “Don’t Marry Career Women” – The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Re: The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.
phatkat811
Regular Contributor
phatkat811
Well, the true mentality of a few of the menfolk has been revealed. They’ve got nothing more to say so they attack my weight and claim I’m just mad because men don’t want me.

Guess what, guys? I’m a size 8 athlete who works out 2-4 times a week. I have no shortage of men hitting on me when I go out, and I’ve been in a stable relationship for two years. So sorry to disappoint you and screw up your stereotype that a woman who stands up to men must be ugly and fat.

08-28-2006 10:41 PM

Re: The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.
IshWishDish
Regular Contributor
IshWishDish

If someone wants to argue with me like a child, I will do the same back. Equality remember? Sorry if this offends you. And now you’re telling me how I should respond to other posters? Have I lost ALL rights over my thoughts and actions? Incredible.

No one’s telling you how you should do anything. You seem very sensitive to other people’s opinions. This is like the confusion so many people have on here about censorship. Freedom of speech means you are free to say what you like. It does not mean you are free from having to hear what other people would like to say. If someone tells you they disagree with you or think you’re wrong or are offended by what you say, they are exercizing their freedom of speech, not denying you yours. So clearly, Rom, no you have not lost all rights over your thoughts and actions. When strangers tell you they think you’re full of it, does that really eliminate your ability to think and do and say what you like?

And if you feel good about sinking to the level of someone acting like a child, have at it. It doesn’t offend me; it just lowers my opinion of you. If you look at my posting record, you may notice that I usually don’t bother wasting my carpals responding to people who aren’t coherent, rational, and mature enough to be worth the time.  I hope I didn’t overestimate you.

08-28-2006 11:49 PM

==============================================================================
Click on the board or message subject at the top to return.

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: